Baby Hospitalized After Accidentally Being Given Spiked Juice


Wednesday, May 2nd 2007, 3:29 pm
By: News On 6


FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Fort Worth police say a one-year-old girl was hospitalized with a blood-alcohol level about two-and-a-half times the legal driving limit for adults.

Police says the child's grandmother inadvertently gave the toddler juice that her son had spiked with gin.

Lieutenant Dean Sullivan says the matter involves a "terrible mistake," and there appears to be no criminal intent.

Police say the grandmother couldn't find juice in the refrigerator Monday for the youngster's breakfast, so she poured some from an individually sized bottle of orange juice.

The baby began acting disoriented about an hour later, so the woman called her 30-year-old son, who had brought the container home that weekend.

Her son told her it was spiked with gin. The woman called poison control officials, who advised her to take the baby to the hospital.

Cook Children's Medical Center notified police.