Winds Prompt Fire Danger Concern
Sunday, February 18th 2007, 8:39 pm
By: News On 6
Green Country firefighters are issuing a warning, just because the burn ban is lifted, doesn't mean the fire danger has been extinguished. Fire crews were called to several fires on Sunday, many were made worse by the wind. News on 6 reporter Joshua Brakhage reports one Sand Springs homeowner learned the hard way, it doesnâ€™t take much for a controlled burn to get out of control.
"They're certainly earning their money here today," said Sand Springs Deputy Fire Chief Tom Jenkins.
Firefighters from three different departments found it tough to tackle a fire that had already eaten its way through a mobile home, and was ready to feast on another. Still, with dogged determination and high-powered hoses firefighters knocked back the flames.
Officials say an unattended fire sparked Sundayâ€™s blaze, and that the people who started it didn't count on the wind whipping the fire across two neighbors' property lines.
"Even though you think you're doing something relatively safe, you're in fact not,â€ said Jenkins. â€œWe have to discourage outdoor burning of any type any time because that's why it's banned inside city limits."
In Tulsa a house fire at 5300 S. Owasso Avenue quickly got out of control. Flames climbed from the fireplace, up the walls and into the ceiling.
"We had to tear the garage door open to get in the garage area, and had to attack from the living room and the garage area," Tulsa Fire Captain Jearald Edwards said.
Firefighters had to douse the house with foam to help smother the flames. They say the woman inside is lucky she made it out alright, but she tried to go back in for her pets. Firefighters warn once you're out, stay out. Officials also say given the dry winter grass, low humidity and windy conditions be smart and don't start a fire.
"Today we have neighbors that have suffered a serious loss here, due to just accidents," Jenkins said. "Bottom line is outdoor burning is never safe."
A volunteer firefighter was hurt battling that blaze outside of Sand Springs, but he should be alright.