Cherokee Nation Housing Assistance

Saturday, February 10th 2007, 10:03 am
By: News On 6

The Cherokee Nation’s Housing Authority has openings for families under its rental assistance and housing choice voucher programs. Officials say the openings are in the Craig, Nowata, Rogers, Tulsa and Washington counties.

Under the program, the Cherokee Nation issues eligible families a coupon allowing them to search for eligible housing. Subsidized rent is then paid by the Cherokee Nation’s Housing Authority based on the family’s income.

All applicants must meet eligibility guidelines. Guidelines include the applicant must meet income limits, must be a U. S. citizen, each family member five years of age or older must have a social security card and the applicant or family member must have CDIB or be a member of a federally recognized tribe.

To be eligible for the Rental Assistance Program, the head of household or spouse must be a member of a Federally recognized tribe or have a dependant living in the home of Indian descent of a federally recognized tribe. The Housing Choice Voucher Program does not have this requirement.

For more information or for an application, contact the Housing Authority of the Cherokee Nation office nearest you at the following locations or download an application from the Housing Authority website at