Klinsmann withdraws from consideration as U.S. coach
Thursday, December 7th 2006, 1:57 pm
By: News On 6
Juergen Klinsmann withdrew Thursday from consideration as coach of the U.S. soccer team after several months of talks failed to lead to an agreement, a U.S. Soccer Federation official told The Associated Press.
The official said an announcement would be made later Thursday. He spoke on condition of anonymity because the USSF statement had not yet been released.
Klinsmann had been the favorite to succeed Bruce Arena, who was let go in July after 7 1/2 years. Arena coached the American team to the World Cup quarterfinals in 2002, the best showing by the United States since 1930, but the U.S. team was eliminated in the first round this year.
A close friend of Arena, Klinsmann led Germany to the World Cup semifinals this year in his first professional coaching assignment. He lives in Newport Beach, Calif. -- a close commute to the practice facility in Carson where the Americans often train.