Teenager dies in early morning Tulsa house fire
Thursday, January 5th 2006, 7:05 am
By: News On 6
A house fire has killed a 14 year old Tulsa boy. When firefighters arrived at the mobile home in the 3700 block of East 32nd Street North early Thursday morning, it was engulfed in flames. Four people were home at the time, only three made it out alive.
News on 6 reporter Ashli Sims says 14-year-old DAundre Griffin was a student at Hamilton Middle School, he loved football and wrestling and his family is just devastated.
Firefighters immediately began fighting the blaze when they arrived on the scene around 5:30 AM.
DAundre, his 11-year-old brother, his mother and the man who owned the mobile home were all asleep, when the fire started.
Three of them got out alive. But somehow DAundre was separated from the others. DAundreâ€™s mom, Yvonne Griffin: "I tried to go through the back door to get him, there was so much smoke and I felt the hair on my arms burning and I couldnâ€™t see and I had no choice I had to come back out."
DAundre was found dead in the rubble. Firefighters say two space heaters were the sole source of heat in the home. And they believe that's what caught the mobile home on fire. Firefighters say there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
A memorial fund has been set up for DAundre Griffin at any Bank of America branch in the Tulsa area. The account is the Griffin Memorial Fund #003042408379.