Black-Eyed Pea Cornbread
Monday, December 10th 2007, 3:48 pm
By: News On 6
- Thursday, January 01, 2004
- American/Appetizers-Side Dish
- 12 servings
- Non-stick cooking spray1 pound 96% fat-free ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 cup reduced fat buttermilk
1 cup canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 (8-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 cup shredded light cheddar cheese
2 pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 9-x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook beef, onion, salt and pepper until beef is no longer pink. Drain.
3. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour and soda. Add eggs and buttermilk stirring just until moistened. Stir in beef mixture, peas, corn, cheese and peppers.
4. Pour into baking dish. Bake 1 hour.
- Nutrition Facts:
- Adapted recipe by Jennifer Parham, RD, LD