Savory Portabella Mushroom Panna Cotta
Thursday, December 6th 2007, 11:36 am
By: News On 6
- Four Servings
- 4 separated egg yolks
4 whole eggs
2 teaspoons of sugar
4 teaspoons of red wine
4 teaspoons of worcestershire sauce
4 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
1-1/3 cups of heavy cream
4 oz of diced yellow onion
4 oz of sliced portabella mushroom
6 oz of olive oil
salt & pepper
- 1. Sauté onions and portabella mushrooms in a skillet with salt & pepper until the onions are caramelized.
2. Combine heavy cream, worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar & red wine. Bring to a simmer-DO NOT allow to boil. Remove from heat.
3. Combine egg yolks & whole eggs and beat well while adding sugar.
4. Temper the eggs by adding a small amount of the warm heavy cream mixture and mix well.
5. Slowly add the remaining cream mixture and blend completely.
6. Pre heat the oven to 325 f.
7. Portion the mushroom & onion mixture into the ramekins and add the egg cream mixture, filling each ½ inch from the top.
8. Place the ramekins in the shallow baking dish and add hot water until 2/3 of the ramekin is covered.
9. Bake for 50 minutes
10. Remove the ramekins from the water bath and cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
Heat 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar in the sauté pan and add a teaspoon of sugar.
Mix until the sugar is dissolved and heat until the mixture is reduced by half.
Drizzle the warm sauce on the panna cotta and serve with crackers or crostini .
Add diced tomato and basil pesto on the side if desired.
- James Andrews, Osage Restaurant & Catering