Man Released From Jail After Children Die In Truck In Tulsa

Monday, June 15th 2020, 10:40 pm
By: Amelia Mugavero

TULSA, Okla. -

A judge released Dustin Dennis without bond today after video showed his four and three-year-old children, Ryan and Tegan, getting into a truck.

We've learned they were in there for five hours and Dennis told police he was asleep at the time.

The children's mother, Cheyenne Trent, said there are still too many questions. She said she wants to know why her children, Tegan and Ryan, are not home playing in her yard or riding horses.

"They were amazing kids and they didn't deserve this," Trent said. "I just think of last week, they were trying to catch lightening bugs out here. It will never be the same. They loved playing out here in our yard and chasing butterflies," Trent said.

Despite video showing the children getting into her ex-boyfriend Dennis' truck themselves, Trent feels he should be charged for their children's deaths.

"He was supposed to protect them and he didn't. He failed that, he failed them," Trent said.

Police said Dennis told them he was inside the house asleep for 4 to 5 hours. Police said the children died from heat. Dennis was booked into jail Saturday for two complaints of second-degree murder.

Today, a News On 6 crew was there when Dennis got out of jail. He did not wish speak to us without his attorney. 

Trent said she did not recognize the house where Dennis and the children were staying. She said there are more questions than answers.

"I don't believe he passed out. I don't believe that one bit, and now they've paid the ultimate price. They're never going to come back, they're never going to be here, they're never going to spend birthdays, which are both coming up in August - nothing ever again," Trent said. 

People have been asking News On 6 why Dennis' case is being treated differently than the mother of the Crook children, Tony and Miracle, who wandered in a creek and drowned while police said the mother was asleep inside. 

She's been charged with second-degree murder.

Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler sent the following statement regarding the incidents:

"My office has not received any written reports associated with the investigation. Charges have not been presented for us to make a filing decision. However, when the police discovered additional exculpatory information related to their initial arrest, they appropriately brought it to our attention and to the judge’s attention who originally set bond. The fact that Mr. Dennis was released on a personal recognizance bond does not mean that this case is over. It is still a matter under investigation."