Family Seeks Answers After Teams Uncover Missing Soldier’s Remains

Monday, June 22nd 2020, 9:14 pm
By: Amelia Mugavero

TULSA, Okla. -

A Sapulpa mom is heartbroken after learning her missing son is dead. 

Greg Wedel was reported missing from his base in Fort Hood, Texas about 10 months ago. This weekend, search teams found his remains in an open field in Killeen, Texas. Investigators are now ruling his death as suspicious and suspect foul play.

"I just miss him. We don't see each other a lot with him being in the army, but I always knew I could. And now we don't have that anymore, we can't see him," said Greg's mother, Kim Wedel. ​She said she has more questions than answers. 

"At least now we know where he's at," Wedel said. "It’s not a lot of comfort but it's better than nothing."​ 

Related Story: Oklahoma Soldier Still Missing From Fort Hood Months Later

The U.S. Army's Criminal Investigation Command said 24-year-old Greg Wedel's remains were discovered in a field Friday morning and were identified by dental records. ​The Fort Hood military base released a statement on Facebook saying, in part:

"Foul play is suspected at this point in the investigation. Army Special Agents are working closely with the Killeen Police Department and are offering a reward of up to $25,000 to anyone with credible information concerning the circumstances surrounding the death of Morales."

The army said Greg was last seen driving his car outside of Fort Hood in August. ​His mother said he was scheduled to come home only a few days before he disappeared. 

The U.S. Army categorized Greg as AWOL. Kim Wedel said she knew Greg would not run away and knew something was wrong when she didn't hear a single word from Greg for 10 months. ​

"It's devastating because the hope you did hold out for is now gone,"​ Wedel admitted. 

Greg's younger brother, Nick, said Greg was the best big brother he could ask for. ​ "I missed out on the last for five years with him and then he just gets taken away from us. You don't even have the option to say goodbye,” Nick said.

The Wedels said they want to know what happened to Greg. ​"Nobody has the right to take another life he's just a kid he just didn't deserve to go this way,"​ Kim Wedel said.

The family also said they want military protocol to change, and have​ created a petition for the military to not assume that a soldier has gone AWOL when they don't show up for formation. ​

Fort Hood also said they do not believe this case is connected to the active search for Vanessa Guillen who went missing from Fort Hood in April. 

You can find the petition here: Find Missing US Army Soldier Gregory Scott Wedel Morales.

Fort Hood also released a full statement.