Hatch Green Chile Breakfast Sandwich
Monday, August 10th 2020, 10:20 am
By: News On 6
Heather Berryhill shares a recipe for a Hatch Green Chile Breakfast Sandwich.
- 2 English Muffins
- 1 Hatch Green Chile (roasted, steamed, peeled and chopped)
- 2 Slices of Canadian Bacon
- 2 Slices of Fresh Mozzarella
- 2 Eggs
- Wash and dry Hatch green chile. Put green chile on the grill or over open flame on gas cooktop.
- Flip to roast chile until charred on all sides. Remove chile from heat and place in ziplock plastic bag or in dish with plastic wrap on top. Allow to steam for 10-15 minutes.
- After steaming, remove chile from plastic bag. Rub or peel charred skin off of chile. After charred skin is removed, cut off top of chile. Split open and remove all seeds. Cut in half and set aside.
- Split English muffins and toast slightly (light toast) in toaster oven or regular toaster.
- After toasting, remove and place on cookie sheet. Add one pat of butter to each side of muffins.
- Fry eggs in a small amount of butter until desired doneness. (Recommend “over easy” or still runny in the middle for this recipe.) Sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Add one slice of Canadian Bacon to one side of each English Muffin. Add roasted Hatch Chile next. Then the fried egg. Then one slice of mozzarella. Leave the top of the English muffin with nothing on top.
- Place the assembled sides of the muffins and the tops, on cookie sheet, in the oven on broil. Watch closely. When cheese becomes brown and bubbly, take out of the oven.
- Allow to rest for 3-5 minutes. Place muffin tops on sandwich and cut in half. Egg yolk should be runny and run down sandwich. The yolk is great for dipping sandwich while enjoying.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes