With temperatures dropping, the Tulsa Fire Department said it sees more fires this time of year and they are reminding people to be safe as they prepare to heat their homes.
Andy Little with the Tulsa Fire Department said this time of year they see an increase in structure fires.
He said it's a good idea to call a professional to inspect your chimney or heating unit, and if you are using a space heater, keep it at least three feet away from curtains or furniture and place it on a flat surface.
He said they also see an increase in fires in abandon buildings. Little said it could be a homeless person lighting a fire to stay warm and if you see someone entering an abandoned building, call police.
"As a department, we are always just cognizant that this time of year, we are going to have more fire, you know so we try to educate the public, we try to tell people about the dangers, we really just want them to be cognizant and think about what they are doing," Little said.
The fire department has a program where they will install a smoke detector in your home for free. If you are interested, call (918) 596-9420 or visit the website here.