Woman Returns Home After More Than A Month Battling Severe Case Of COVID-19

Friday, November 5th 2021, 9:11 pm

MUSKOGEE, Oklahoma -

A Muskogee woman is sleeping in her own bed tonight for the first time in more than a month after a severe case of COVID 19. 

Stacie Weller's mom said it's been an emotionally draining time for the family. 

"Covid 19 is vicious. It can and does kill as we all know,” said Rita Espinoza, the patient's Mom. "It is all-consuming, 24/7. You have to make snap decisions." 

More than 5 million people have died worldwide from Covid-19. For weeks, Rita Espinoza said that nightmare was her daughter's reality. 

"Standing outside my daughter's window in intensive care not being able to talk to her, touch her, go in and see her, knowing she's so ill, it's devastating, and you don't know from one minute to the next what's gonna happen,” said Espinoza. "Your child is laying with glass and a wall between you and them. You can't touch them. They don't hear you when you speak. You stand there helpless, and it's not a feeling I would wish on anyone." 

Stacie Weller was admitted to Saint Francis hospital in Muskogee on September 14th with the Delta Variant and Covid Pneumonia. 

"Basically, I was told that there was no hope," said Espinoza. 

The 45-year-old mother of two was in a drug-induced coma for 33 days. 

"Are you ready for momma to be home? Me too baby,” said Weller. 

"I said you have to fight Stacie. You have to fight. You have to. I can't do this for you," said Espinoza. 

She had people all over the world praying for her daughter. 

"That's very terrifying to think that you might have to make a decision to let your child leave this world," said Espinoza. 

Then it happened; Weller opened her eyes. 

"Please be vigilant. There is hope. And don't give up,” said Espinoza. 

Espinoza said no one wants to call a hospital home but for the last 53 days, her daughter's been living here. She says this may just look like a building to you, but Espinoza believes a miracle happened within the walls of Saint Francis. 

"The doctors have been tremendous in calling and talking with me and making decisions with me,” said Espinoza. 

She said the support is unmatched. 

"She told me, while she was unconscious, that she thought about the kids. That she prayed," said Espinoza. "They have brought her back from not being able to even speak to being able to go home today." 

First, she came off the ventilator and then began rehab. Today, she went home. 

Espinoza was a nurse for 43 years. 

"It's really hard to on one side as a medical professional knowing what you know. And then being a mother on the other side of the walk, knowing what you know,” said Espinoza. 

Espinoza said not everyone is as lucky and is begging folks to get vaccinated. 

"I promise you, you do not want to go what our family has been through. You don't want to go there,” said Espinoza.