Asparagus with Orange Vinaigrette
- Thursday, January 01, 2004
- American/Appetizers-Side Dish
- 4 to 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pound fresh asparagus
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. Trim asparagus. In a large pan bring water to a simmer. Add asparagus and cook approximately 3 minutes. Immediately immerse cooked asparagus in ice water to stop cooking and set color.
2. In a small bowl, combine orange juice, vinegar, orange juice concentrate, honey, mustard, allspice, salt and pepper. Add olive oil in a slow, thin stream, whisking constantly until emulsified.
3. Arrange asparagus on a serving dish. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve immediately.
Note: This recipe makes more vinaigrette than you will need. Store extra vinaigrette in the refrigerator up to one week. Also good tossed with a green salad or used as a marinade.
- Nutrition Facts:
- 103 calories, 16g carbohydrate, 4.2g protein, 3.8g fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 3.7g dietary fiber, 88mg sodium
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
- Adapted recipe by Jennifer Parham, RD, LD, Siegfried Health Center, St. John Medical Center