Turkey Breast with Barley-Cranberry Stuffing
- Thursday, January 01, 2004
- 6 servings
- 2 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup quick-cooking barley
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
1 (1 1/2 to 2 pound) fresh or frozen turkey breast half
1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1. Combine broth barley, onion, cranberries, almonds, sage, garlic powder and pepper in slow cooker.
2. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot. Brown turkey breast on all sides; add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low setting 3-4 hours or until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.
3. Transfer turkey to cutting board; cover with foil and let stand 10-15 minutes before carving.
4. Stir parsley into barley mixture in slow cooker. Serve sliced turkey over stuffing.
- Nutrition Facts:
- 324 calories, 32g carbohydrate, 34g protein, 7g fat, 0.8g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 5g dietary fiber, 247mg sodium
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, ½ fruit, 3 ½ lean meat, ½ fat
- Adapted recipe by Jennifer Parham, RD, LD, Siegfried Health Ctr, St. John Medical Center