Fiesta Cornbread Muffins
- Thursday, January 01, 2004
- Tex-Mex/Appetizers-Side Dish
- 12 servings, 1 muffin each
- Nonstick cooking spray1 tablespoon light margarine
1/4-1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
1 cup self-rising cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar substitute (Splenda)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 cup shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 12 muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
2. Spray a small skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Sauté onion until translucent.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine onion, corn, cornmeal, flour, sugar substitute and baking powder until blended. Add buttermilk, egg substitute and cheese, stir just until moistened.
4. Spoon batter evenly into tins and bake 18-20 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Nutrition Facts:
- 145 calories, 23g carbohydrate, 6.8g protein, 2.9g fat, 1.6g saturated fat, 7.7mg cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 2.9g dietary fiber
- Adapted recipe by Rachel Cly, RD, LD - Email questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org