- Thursday, January 01, 2004
- 12 servings
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
1 cup frozen seasoning vegetables (onion, peppers, celery and parsley)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 1/3 cups water
1 box (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice blend
1 small tomato, chopped
1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
12 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 ounces each)
1 large jalapeno pepper, minced
1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat Monterey jack cheese, shredded
2 cups fat-free sour cream
1 tablespoon light ranch salad dressing
1/4-1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoon fat-free milk
1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray.
2. Spray a large skillet with butter-flavored cooking spray. Saute seasoning vegetables 3-5 minutes or until onion is clear. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl.
3. Add water to skillet; bring to a boil. Cook rice according to package directions without added fat. Add sauteed vegetables, tomato and green chilies.
4. Flatten each chicken breast to 1/4-inch thickness. Top each with 1/3 cup rice mixture. Fold sides of chicken over rice. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Bake 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with jalapeno and cheese. Bake 3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
5. Combine sour cream, salad dressing, cilantro and milk in a small bowl. Serve chicken with approximately 3 tablespoons sauce and salsa.
- Nutrition Facts:
- 294 calories, 21g carbohydrate, 35g protein, 6.9g fat, 3.3g saturated fat, 79mg cholesterol, 1.2g dietary fiber,
- Original recipe by Janet Potts, RD, LD