Sour Cream Pound Cake
Non-stick cooking spray
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sugar substitute (made from sucralose and maltodextrin)
½ cup egg substitute
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 cup light sour cream
6 egg whites, whipped until stiff peaks form
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray 10-inch tube pan lightly with non-stick spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, applesauce, sugar and sugar substitute; mixing until smooth. Add egg substitute, salt, baking soda and extracts.
3. Slowly blend in the flour and sour cream, alternating between the two, beginning and ending with flour.
4. Gently fold in egg whites.
5. Place batter in tube pan and bake for 1 ½ hours or until golden brown and cake tester comes out clean.
Yield: 20 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 168 calories, 25g carbohydrate, 3.9g protein, 5.7g fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 16mg cholesterol, 0.5g dietary fiber, 81mg sodium
Exchanges per serving: 1 ½ starch, 1 fat
Source: Adapted recipe by Jennifer L. Parham, RD, LD / St. John Medical Center