I often joke that pink is my "signature" color! Ever since my breast cancer diagnosis, I've become passionate about pink. But I wasn't sure how the pink ribbon came to represent the fight against breast cancer. I had heard it began with the national office of Komen so I did a little research and found the history of the pink ribbon:
• 1982: Susan G. Komen for the Cure® launched the global breast cancer movement and began using pink as its signature color.
• Mid 1980s-early 1990s: A pink ribbon was incorporated into the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® logo.
• 1990: First breast cancer survivor program was launched at the Komen Global Race for the Cure® in Washington, D.C. As the survivor program expanded, the color pink was used to further promote breast cancer awareness and to recognize survivors who wore pink visors at Komen Race events.
• 1991: Pink ribbons were distributed to all breast cancer survivors and participants of the Komen New York City Race for the Cure®.
• 1992: Self Magazine Editor-in-Chief Alexandra Penney and cosmetics company Estée Lauder created a pink ribbon in support of the magazine's second Breast Cancer Awareness Month issue and distributed them in New York City stores.
• 2007: 25 years after its inception, the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation changed its name to Susan G. Komen for the Cure and designed a custom pink ribbon. Called the "Running Ribbon," it signifies the promise Komen Founder Nancy G. Brinker made to her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, to do all she could to end breast cancer.
Now, I'm tickled pink with all the pink stuff I have. Just recently, the nicest woman called the station and said she'd created a pink afghan for me to honor my battle. She dropped by work and presented me with the hand-made afghan. It was so sweet of her and I thought how lucky I am to be a survivor. So the next time you see the pink ribbon or something pink, let that serve as a reminder; that color is powerful in uniting us in the fight!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Six in the Morning Anchor
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
TULSA'S OWN TM
GREEN COUNTRY'S OWN TM
Oklahoma's Own Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state including Tulsa's Own and Green Country's Own.