Mushroom And Herb Stuffing Muffins
• Cooking spray
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 2 medium red onions, chopped (4 cups)
• 3 thinly sliced celery stalks
• 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
• ½ teaspoon dried rubbed sage
• ½ teaspoon dried thyme
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, coarsely chopped (about 3 ½ cups)
• 1 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
• 1 (12- to 14-ounce) package country-style cubed with white and whole-wheat bread stuffing (such as Pepperidge Farm)
• 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
• 2 large eggs
1. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Heat butter in a 4- to 5-quart pot over medium heat until melted; add onion and next 5 ingredients (through pepper). Cook until softened (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms; cook over medium-high heat until mushrooms are tender and liquid evaporates (about 5 minutes), stirring well. Add broth; simmer.
3. Preheat oven to 425°. Remove pot from heat; stir in remaining ingredients with a fork. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Spoon stuffing mixture into 10 cups of prepared muffin tin in mounds; bake in middle of oven until golden on top (about 25 minutes). Let cool in oven at least 15 minutes; remove from tin.
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 45 minutes; Total Time: 1 hour.
Tip: Make these a day ahead and reheated in a 350° oven, uncovered, for about 15 minutes.