Space Heater Could Be To Blame For House Fire Near Mohawk Park, - - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - |

Space Heater Could Be To Blame For House Fire Near Mohawk Park, TFD Says

Posted: Updated:
TULSA, Oklahoma - A house fire raged near Mohawk Park near the Tulsa Zoo on Wednesday morning and firefighters said it may have been caused from kerosene from a space heater.

TFD Capt. Stan May said he believes the homeowner, in an attempt to refuel the heater, spilled kerosene and ignited the fire.

May said those types of space heaters need to cool down before you refill them. It's also the type of heater that is not made for homes. Stan says the fire could have actually saved the homeowner's life, because the heater could have given him carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters battled the fire in the 4100 block of North Winston Avenue for a while, after having a hard time because of a lack of fire hydrants near the home. They had to use 2,500 feet of hose,when the typical, May said, is about 200-300 feet.

We did see EMSA taking one person into an ambulance, but were told he is being treated for hypothermia and a minor burn. Firefighters said they found him standing outside in shorts and a T-shirt in near-zero wind chill.

We're told everyone who was inside was able to get out safely.

Special Features

Live Traffic

Get the latest road conditions on Green Country roadways.

iPhone App

Get breaking news, weather, sports & video directly on your iPhone.

CBS Shows

Watch your favorite CBS shows for free online.


Looking for a website or event you heard mentioned on News On 6? Find it here!

TV Schedule

Need to know what's on TV? Check out our television schedule.

Live Radar

WARN Interactive

Special Coverage

  • Bridge Tracker

    How safe are Oklahoma's bridges? Use Bridge Tracker to find out now.

  • Fallen Heroes

    News On 6 honors our fallen Oklahoma heroes. View our interactive timeline.

  • Murrah Bombing Timeline

    Learn more about the events leading up to and following the bombing.

  • Storm Zone

    Watch tornadoes tear across Oklahoma and learn how to stay safe!

Powered by Frankly
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103 is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KOTV. Oklahoma Traveler™ is a registered trademark of Griffin Communications. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.