Muskogee Habitat For Humanity Home Destroyed By Fire
MUSKOGEE, Oklahoma - A Green Country couple who received a Habitat for Humanity home is now homeless.
The Powell family home in Muskogee burned down overnight.
JoAnn Powell said with the help of Habitat for Humanity, she and her husband built the house with their own hands more than two decades ago.
She said now, without her home and all the memories inside it, she feels lost.
"I can't even go in there. I really just cant even go in there and really even look," she said.
Powell's home caught fire early Monday morning.
Fortunately she was at her brother's house when the flames broke out. But she said when she got news of the fire, she was in disbelief.
"I just almost passed out to tell you the truth," she said.
The home was extra special to her and her husband.
They helped build it in 1995, and it was the first Muskogee Habitat for Humanity house to be paid off.
"It's a lot of memories in there because we put a lot of sweat into this place," Powell said.
Powell's husband died in 2014, which made her hold the memories inside the home even closer to her heart.
"A lot of my memories is pictures and stuff like that that's gone. My wedding pictures, my wedding ring," she said.
Now, she said she has no idea what she'll do or where she'll go.
"Trying to get my head cleared out and really believe that's it's really gone, you know? It hasn't really sunk in right now," Powell said. "That was my home, you know? When you lose your home, it just feels like you're just lost."
The Tulsa Fire Department could not be reached for comment, but Powell said the department told her it was probably an electrical fire.