Irish Soda Bread
- 1 ¼ pounds all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon baking soda
- 3 ounces butter, chilled, cubed
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup raisins
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda until thoroughly combined.
- Add butter and blend until a coarse meal forms.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and then add buttermilk. Stir until blended.
- Fold in raisins.
- Form into two equal balls and bake in a round cake pan in a 350° oven for 40 minutes until thoroughly browned.