Four Convicted In Tulsa Police Corruption Trial Sentenced Tuesday

Tuesday, December 6th 2011, 9:37 am
By: News On 6

Three former Tulsa officers and a former ATF agent were sentenced Tuesday in the Tulsa Police corruption trial. The federal investigation began more than two years ago.

The judge said this has left a stain on the Tulsa police department that will last at least a generation. He said the law must apply to all people equally.

Jeff Henderson did not speak at his sentencing. The judge acknowledged it was a sad day for Henderson's family and friends.

He said Henderson had an exemplary career and had done a great service keeping the community safe, but the constitution did not allow for cutting corners.

He sentenced Henderson to three and a half years in prison. With the time he's already served, Henderson is looking at around 18 more months behind bars.

JJ Gray had expected probation in exchange for pleading guilty to stealing money after getting caught on tape.

Gray apologized to his family, the police department and the citizens of Tulsa for the shame and disgrace he caused them.

He said while the past two years have been the darkest of his life, it's also brought him closer to his family and God.

The judge said despite Gray's help with the prosecution's case, justice required prison time and sentenced him to four months in prison.

"There's the old saying, there's never a wrong time to do the right thing, and Mr. Gray did the right thing ultimately and he's paying the price for his crimes now," said Skip Durbin, Gray's attorney.

Retired Corporal Harold Wells cried as he thanked the judge for reading all letters from Well's family and friends.

The judge said it was the hardest sentence for him to hand out and that it might've turned out differently, had Wells had a trial by judge rather than jury.

He sentenced Wells to 10 years in prison. As he was leaving the courtroom, Wells told his supporters it would be okay. He's 60 years old.

Finally, former ATF agent Brandon McFadden, who cut a deal and testified against the others, was sentenced to 21 months in prison.

He choked up while apologizing to his family. He also warned other officers who might think of doing what he did, that it's not worth it.

"I think it was fair. We were slightly disappointed, but still thought it was fair," said Neal Kirkpatrick, McFadden's attorney.

Henderson asked if he could serve his time in a federal prison in South Dakota. Gray's attorney says he may request the one in El Reno, Oklahoma. McFadden asked he serve his time in Texas, close to his home.

The three officers who were acquitted, are back on the payroll at TPD, but are not on the job because the internal investigation isn't finished.

6/10/2011 Related Story: Two Of The Three Accused Tulsa Officers Acquitted

8/23/2011:  Related Story:  Tulsa Police Trial: Henderson Guilty On 8 Counts, Yelton Acquitted