Tulsa nursing home evacuated following foul odor
Sunday, January 15th 2006, 5:40 PM CST
A suspicious smell prompted the evacuation of a Tulsa nursing home Sunday.
EMSA and the Tulsa Fire Department's hazardous materials team responded to the Southern Hills Rehabilitation Center at 5170 South Vandalia.
They say the smell was strong, but it didn't turn out to be toxic. Aaron Howell with EMSA: â€œin working along with hazmat, we determined that there was a product that was laid by construction workers several days ago that was still in the drying process, some fumes that were given off by that. We've evaluated it, it was a product that is commonly used to seal tile, grout. The fumes were heavy."
The Tulsa Fire hazmat crew ventilated both wings of the nursing home. EMSA took four patients to the hospital. They were already being treated for respiratory conditions.