The Oklahoma Traveler: Blinded by the Light - - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - |

The Oklahoma Traveler: Blinded by the Light

The following information is provided by KOTV as a service to our viewers. Please contact the International Dark-Sky Association directly for answers to any questions that you may have concerning light pollution. The I-D-A acts as a clearinghouse for issues of energy-efficient lighting and the loss of the night time sky with updates on various state laws and local ordinances being adopted to curb light pollution. The group's web site also has links to other similar groups.

The International Dark- Sky Association
3225 N. First Avenue
Tucson, AZ 85719
Telephone: (520) 293-3198
Fax: (520) 293-3192
Toll free membership line: (877) 600-5888

To buy a metal dome for a street light that's causing glare, contact:

Nelson Electric
526 N. Main Street
Telephone: (918) 583-1212
Ask for Mike Lemley at extension 178.

The fixture is called a "Hubbel Streetlamp Cover" and costs approximately $25. Public Service Company of Oklahoma, (P-S-O), will charge a minimum hourly rate of $45 to install the fixture. P-S-O's Stan Whiteford says the utility doesn't advertise this service and doesn't have the manpower to get the work done quickly. Be sure to check with your neighbors before installing a light shield. You must also call the Tulsa city lighting department to get their OK as well. The department's number is 596-9753.

Powered by Frankly
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103 is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KOTV. Oklahoma Traveler™ is a registered trademark of Griffin Communications. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.