WASHINGTON (AP) _ A Honolulu company is recalling about 29,000 candles because the wicks can re-ignite after they are extinguished, posing a fire hazard.
Island Soap & Candle Works of Honolulu has received one report of a candle starting a fire that caused property and smoke damage, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said Thursday. No one was injured.
The recalled candles have a single wick surrounded by wax in a brown coconut shell. They were sold in about 20 different scents and ranged in sizes from ``Mini'' to ``Large.''
The coconut shell has a label on the bottom that reads ``Island Soap & Candle Works ... Hand made in Hawaii ... Do not leave a burning candle unattended.''
Some of the candles have moon and star cutouts around the upper rim of the coconut shell.
Island Soap & Candle Works exclusively sold these candles in Oahu, Maui, and Kauai, Hawaii and Monterey, Calif., from April 2000 through April 8, 2002 for between $8 and $15.
Consumers should stop using the candles immediately and return them to the store where purchased for a full refund. People with questions can call Island Soap & Candle Works at 1-877-535-5566 between 2 p.m. and 11 p.m. EDT Monday through Friday.