More Than 100 Homeless After Apartment Complex Fire
Saturday, July 28th 2007, 2:38 PM CDT
HOUSTON (AP) _ An electrical problem caused a huge fire at a suburban apartment complex, leaving more than 100 people homeless, investigators said Saturday. No injuries were reported.
The five-alarm blaze Friday began at the west end of the South Grand Apartments in Channelview, just east of Houston, officials said.
It took firefighters about five hours to extinguish the blaze, which destroyed 92 units, said Michael Battise, chief of the Cloverleaf Volunteer Fire Department, one of 10 departments that worked to put it out.
``All the photos, all the memories were gone. I had photographs going to 1900 of my great-grandma and grandma,'' resident Steve Pharas said.