1, 10" x10" sheet puff pastry (thawed if frozen)
6oz vegetable of choice, such as squash, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, spinach
1oz 2% milk Provolone cheese
1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
2 Tbsp sun dried tomato, chopped finely
1/8 tsp sea salt (optional)
3 oz dry white wine
4 oz fat-free half and half
1. Remove phyllo dough from freezer, remove one package from box and allow dough to warm to room temperature while preparing vegetables.
2. Thinly slice the squash, zucchini, and/or eggplant.
3. On a grill or very hot dry pan, sear the sliced vegetables and/or Portabella mushroom cap until lightly browned, set aside on paper towels to remove excess moisture and allow to cool.
4. On a flat surface, unroll the phyllo dough sheets. Take five phyllo dough sheets and cut them all together into an 8" x 8" square. Place the cooled vegetables in the center of the square and top with one slice of cheese. Using a pastry brush, paint the edges of the dough around the vegetables with egg wash.
5. Fold the corners up to the center, making a box that completely encloses the filling.
6. Paint the outside of the pastry with the egg wash.
7. Bake in oven at 425 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until nicely browned.
8. While the pastry is baking, make the sauce. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend for 20-30 seconds. Pour mixture into a sauce pan and reduce over medium heat until sauce is slightly thickened. Add 1 Tbsp of parmesan cheese to the sauce towards the end to melt the cheese.
9. Pour sauce into a rimmed plate. Serve Wellington on top of sauce.
Yield: 1 serving
Nutrition information per serving (without sea salt): 373 calories, 18 gm protein, 41 gm carbohydrate, 3.7 gm fiber, 8 gm fat, 3.5 gm saturated fat, 577 mg sodium.
This recipe provides over 1/3 daily calcium (377 mg)
and over 1/3 daily potassium (1216 mg) needs.
Exchanges per serving: 2 ½ starch, 1 vegetable, 2 oz protein, 1 fat
Source: Adapted recipe by Marianne Wetherill, RD/LD
St. John Medical Center
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.