Tulsa Fire Department Responds To House Fire - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Tulsa Fire Department Responds To House Fire

Posted: Updated:
Tulsa firefighters responded to a house fire in the 500 block of 78th East Avenue. Tulsa firefighters responded to a house fire in the 500 block of 78th East Avenue.

NewsOn6.com

TULSA, OK -- Firefighters with the Tulsa Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 500 block of 78th East Avenue.

The fire started at about 11:30 a.m.

Captain Michael Baker, Public Information Officer for the Tulsa Fire Department, said firefighters who arrived to the scene first found heavy smoke coming from the single-story home. Those inside were able to escape before crews arrived.

Baker said firefighters were able to get the fire under control within 30 minutes. However, Baker said due to the heavy fire involvement, the house required extensive overhaul and a search for embers.

Two firefighters received minor burns when a portion of the ceiling collapsed on top of them, Baker said. The firefighters were taken to the City of Tulsa Medical Division for treatment and later released back to duty. One person who lived at the home was treated for smoke inhalation that occurred while sitting in the fire area.

Baker said firefighters found both the gas and electric services were disconnected from the house. Fire crews believe the fire started as a result of a fire in the home's fireplace.

Several people were inside the home at the time of the fire. Baker said they started a fire in the fireplace and it appears the firebox was overloaded with wood. The fire became too intense and it released embers from the chimney onto the roof and a nearby shed.

Baker said the shed fire rapidly spread to the structure and resulted in a near total loss of the home. Damage is estimated at $80,000.

Red Cross is assisting the residents with their needs after the fire.


Powered by Frankly
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 KOTV. Oklahoma Traveler™ is a registered trademark of Griffin Communications. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.