1 lb. dry pinto beans
8 c. water
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 or 2 ham hocks
2 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. Head Country All-Purpose Championship Seasoning
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper (about 6 grinds)
2 c. Schwab's Ham, chopped into bite-sized pieces
Optional Garnishes: Chopped white onion, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, pickled jalapenos, etc.
Prep Ahead: Sort beans to remove any debris, rocks or discolored beans; rinse well and drain. Either soak overnight in the refrigerator, or use the ‘quick-soak' method by boiling beans for 2 minutes, then remove from heat, cover and let set for 1 hour. Both methods work equally as well. After soaking, drain and rinse beans well.
1. Add beans to a large stockpot and cover with 8 cups of cold water. Add yellow onion, ham hock (use 2 for more flavor) and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and slowly simmer for at least 2 hours, and preferably up to 6 hours, being careful to watch the water level, adding more water if necessary.
2. 30 minutes prior to serving, remove the ham hock, and according to your taste, either discard it (I prefer this) or remove the meat from the bone and add to the pot. Add the 2 cups of chopped ham, and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Serve beans piping hot with plenty of chopped white onions, shredded cheddar cheese, and salsa, if you like. Some people also enjoy chopped jalapeno peppers, or pepperoncini on top, as well. Enjoy!
Kitchen Kimberley's Tips:
• Leftovers are better the next day! We always enjoy leftover beans and ham spooned over a piece of warm wheat bread. Top as you like and dig in!
• Beans can be cooked in the crock pot on low for 6 to 8 hours. Make sure there's plenty of water!
• Salt the beans to taste only if necessary, just prior to serving. In my opinion, this recipe doesn't require salt, because of the Head Country All-Purpose Championship Seasoning, as well as the ham...there's plenty of salty flavor in both of those yummy ingredients!
AN ADAPTED RECIPE BY KITCHEN KIMBERLEY
News On 6
303 N. Boston Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74103
Newson6.com is proud to provide Oklahomans with timely and relevant news and information, sharing the stories, pictures and loves of Oklahomans across our great state.