Spiced Pear And Pomegranate Tart
Monday, December 19th 2016, 12:46 PM CST
- 4 tsp sugar, divided
- 2 pinches salt, divided
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp plus 1/8 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 lb ripe Anjou pears (about 4)
- 8 (13 / 18 in) sheets frozen phyllo, thawed
- 1 tbsp apricot preserves with ½ tsp hot water to soften preserves
- ¼ c pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine 2 tsp sugar and a pinch of salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine remaining 2 tsp sugar, cornstarch, ¼ tsp five-spice powder, and remaining pinch of salt in another small bowl; set aside.
- Combine lemon juice and vanilla in a medium bowl. Peel and core pears; thinly slice. Add pears to lemon juice mixture; toss gently. Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture; toss.
- Unroll phyllo onto a clean work surface; keep covered with a sheet of wax paper topped with a damp kitchen towel. Place 1 sheet of phyllo on prepared pan; lightly coat with nonstick spray and sprinkle with ¼ tsp reserved sugar mixture. Top with a second phyllo sheet; repeat to make 8 layers.
- Spoon pears onto phyllo, not including all the juices (to prevent sogginess), leaving a 1-inch border. Turn phyllo edges up, sealing corners with a few drops of water. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375F. continue baking until pears are tender and phyllo is golden and crisp, 15 minutes more.
- Brush softened preserves over pears; sprinkle tart with pomegranate seeds. Cool at least 10 minutes before cutting into 8 slices and serving.
Per serving (1 slice): 149 cal, 2 g total fat, 0 g sat fat, 192 mg sod, 33g total carb, 15 g sugar, 4 g fib, 2g prot. SmartPoints Value: 3