TFD: Fallen Box Fan On Gas Stove Caused Fatal House Fire

<p>Tulsa Fire Department officials said a gas stove being used to heat a home caused a house fire Thursday evening that sent one woman to the hospital and killed an elderly woman.&nbsp;</p>

Friday, December 16th 2016, 11:18 am

By: News On 6


Tulsa Fire Department officials said a gas stove being used to heat a home caused a house fire Thursday evening that sent one woman to the hospital and killed an elderly woman.

"The occupants did not have a working furnace," said TFD Public Information Officer Stan May. "They were using the gas cooking stove to heat the house and a box fan to distribute the heat." 

12/15/16 Related Story: Elderly Woman Killed In Tulsa House Fire

May said the fan fell on the stove top and sparked the fire at the home, which is located at 3411 East 5th Place.  

Firefighters said a woman in her 20s was outside the house seeking help when they arrived and she told them a person who is in a wheelchair was still inside.

The woman was found on the floor of the front room, but the flames were too hot and firefighters could not reach her, May said. 

The hospitalized woman is the granddaughter of the victim. TFD has not released their names. 

logo

Get The Daily Update!

Be among the first to get breaking news, weather, and general news updates from News on 6 delivered right to your inbox!

More Like This

December 16th, 2016

April 15th, 2024

April 12th, 2024

March 14th, 2024

Top Headlines

June 16th, 2024

June 16th, 2024

June 16th, 2024

June 16th, 2024