Preliminary Hearing Starts For Teen Accused Of Killing Elderly Tulsa Couple

Tuesday, August 7th 2012, 6:25 pm
By: News On 6

The man accused of raping and killing an elderly woman and beating her husband went to court Tuesday.

Five witnesses testified against Tyrone Woodfork in the case of the murder of Bob and Nancy Strait.

Andra Harper went to her parents' Tulsa home March 15 and noticed their car was gone. She knew they'd been too sick with food poisoning to drive, and then she saw the door ajar and the TV missing.

She testified she found her father lying in the hall by his bedroom in his t-shirt and underwear and could tell he'd been hit and had something embedded in his face.

Tearfully, she recounted how, at first, she couldn't find her mother, then saw her by her bed in a squatting position, naked and bleeding.

Nancy died shortly afterward and Bob passed away six weeks later.

3/26/2012 Related Story: Tulsa Teen Charged With Felony Murder In Deadly Home Invasion

Detective Vic Regalado testified Tyrone Woodfork confessed to the crime on videotape, after being read his rights.

He testified Woodfork admitted he kicked in the Strait's back door, and then waited in a field behind the house to make sure it was empty.

He said once he was inside, he saw Bob on his bed and hit him and shot him with a BB gun, demanding to know where the valuables were.

The detective testified Woodfork said that's when Nancy came in and said Bob was practically deaf and couldn't hear the demands.

The detective said Woodfork admitted to slapping Nancy a couple of times, claiming that she kicked him, to taking money out of Bob's pocket and his wedding ring, and to taking items from the Straits' house, loading them into the couple's car and leaving.

The detective said at first Woodfork gave names of other people who were also there, but later recanted and insisted he was alone during the crime.

The detective said Woodfork told him he dumped some of the items, sold others at a pawn shop, and sold the TV at a convenience store, all of which was backed up by other witnesses.

Woodfork pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The point of Tusday's hearing was for the judge to decide if there's enough evidence to make Woodfork stand trial.

Prosecutors have three more witnesses, so the hearing was postponed until the end of August.