Oxygen Bottle May Have Sparked Fire That Destroyed Tulsa Home
TULSA, OK -- An 81-year-old man had to be taken to a Tulsa hospital following a house fire Monday morning in north Tulsa.
Tulsa firefighters had to battle windy conditions as they knocked down a house fire in the 1700 block of North Birmingham Place Monday morning.
Firefighters say flames were coming from the back of the home when they arrived on scene shortly after 8:30 a.m.
Tulsa Fire Captain Bill French says everyone except an elderly man got out of the home before firefighters arrived on scene. When firefighters arrived, the man got out and EMSA paramedics treated him at the scene, before taking him to a Tulsa hospital.
Fire officials says the man received burns on his face and suffered from smoke inhalation. At last report, he was listed in fair condition.
French says the elderly man told firefighters the fire seemed to have started near his oxygen bottle, which in turn caught the house on fire.
The home is considered a total loss.