Planned Changes For Tulsa Public Schools Released For 2012-2013
TULSA, Oklahoma - Tulsa Public Schools has released more details about changes for the next school year, as part of Project Schoolhouse.
But, it all still hinges on school board approval. As mentioned Tuesday, one recommendation is to relocate Mayo Demonstration Academy to the old Wilson Middle School Building.
The recommended changes are as follows:
- Mayo Demonstration Academy: Relocate to the former Wilson Middle School building for 2012-13, allowing for expansion of the program. Given the growth in the eastern quadrant of the district, the Mayo building will likely be retained and reused at a later date.
- Sequoyah Elementary: Move students to the former Cleveland Middle School in order to relieve overcrowding; and close Sequoyah at the end of the 2011-12 school year.
- Greeley Elementary: Close at the end of 2011-12, with building leased to Lighthouse Academy charter school beginning in 2012-13. Current Greeley students have the option to transfer to Gilcrease or another elementary school, or apply to Lighthouse Academy.
- Roosevelt: With the sale of Fulton Learning Academy to Town & Country, relocate professional development and curriculum to Roosevelt. Psychometrists, testing facilities, Indian Education and Teach For America, currently housed at Burbank, will also relocate to Roosevelt.
- Open Burbank in 2012-13 as part of Bell Elementary, in order to relieve overcrowding at Bell.
- Early College High/TCC Northeast Campus: Close at the end of the 2011-12 school year, with students to be accommodated at Will Rogers College High program.
- Barnard: Lease to Tulsa School of Arts and Sciences (TSAS) for 2012-13.
- Fulton Learning Academy: Negotiations are underway for sale to Town & Country. The district expects to vacate by July 1, 2012.
- ECDC Reed: Open in 2012-13 to serve pre-K students from Kerr and Lewis & Clark. TPS and Community Action Project will partner in the utilization of the site.
- ECDC Bunch: Serve pre-K and kindergarten in 2012-13.
- ECDC Porter: Serve pre-K and kindergarten from Park Elementary beginning in 2012-13.
Separately, the board will decide on the following recommendation that will take effect for the 2013-14 school year:
- Relocation of Eisenhower to Nimitz: Eisenhower International School will relocate from its current facility at 2819 S. New Haven Ave. to the former Nimitz Middle School at 3111 E. 56th St., which was closed last year as part of Project Schoolhouse. (The move to Nimitz would not take place until the 2013-14 school year). However, two kindergarten sections would be added at Eisenhower (plus an additional class at Zarrow), increasing the number of seats in the language immersion program for 2012-13.
The recommendations will be brought up by the Board of Education at the meeting on Monday, February 6, 2012 at 6:30 p.m., with a board vote to take place on Tuesday, February 21, 2012.
The two meetings will be held at the Education Service Center at 3027 South New Haven.