Tulsa School Bus Engine Catches Fire, No Injuries Reported
TULSA, Oklahoma - Firefighters say the engine of a school bus parked in front of a north Tulsa school caught fire Wednesday morning.
The Tulsa Fire Department got the call at 6:45 a.m. to Academy Central Elementary in the 1700 block of North Seminole.
Firefighters said the bus driver spotted smoke coming from the engine compartment and used a fire extinguisher to put out the small fire. The driver and a student were the only ones on the bus at the time and neither was injured.
School officials say the student was headed to McKinley Elementary. She had to wait for another bus to finish her trip.
The damaged bus was towed away.
TPS spokesman Chris Payne said a broken hose caused the bus engine to overheat starting the fire.