TULSA, Oklahoma - A man is dead after Broken Arrow police say he stole a sport utility vehicle on Wednesday night.

Detectives say Jesse Honeycutt was thrown out of the SUV when it flipped.

Honeycutt's girlfriend says he didn't deserve to die.

She says despite his lengthy criminal history, he was trying to turn his life around, and she isn't sure what got into him last night.

Skid marks and pieces of debris near Lynn Lane and New Orleans Street are the only evidence left of the wreck that killed Honeycutt.

12/17/2015 Related Story: Police Identify Man Killed In Broken Arrow Stolen SUV Crash

His girlfriend, Shawnda Seiler, had to come see it for herself.

"I have no idea what happened last night,” she said. “We were having a family evening, watching a movie. The fire was burning in the fireplace."

Broken Arrow police say Honeycutt stole a 2015 Infiniti from a QuikTrip a few miles away.

Seiler says Honeycutt went to meet his sister and never came home.

"I just want to say I'm sorry for the people who owned the vehicle he stole,” Seiler said. “That was not Jesse at all, I promise. Jesse would never hurt another person, never."

Honeycutt has served time in prison for possessing drugs and firearms.

A month ago, he was convicted of six crimes, including possessing a stolen vehicle and knowingly concealing stolen property.

The judge sentenced him to eight years in prison but suspended his sentence.

Court records show he completed a test which stated "he would benefit from a moderate intensity outpatient treatment."

Documents say he felt "the choices he has made were a direct result of his drug use and acknowledges that he needs help to quit."

Seiler thought he was heading in that direction.

“Jesse was not a bad person,” she said. “He was not a bad person. But drug addiction will change anyone, it will change everyone. and nobody can walk away from that unscathed."

Seiler said Honeycutt was addicted to meth, but she doesn't believe he was using drugs last night.

As far as she knew, he had been sober for a few weeks as part of his court-ordered treatment program.