The Tulsa Parks Department still has openings for lifeguards at city pools.
For anyone interested, two lifeguard classes will be offered in May – May 13 and May 22 – at Lacy Park Pool and Community Center at 2134 North Madison Place.
The fee is $50 for students who sign up to be City of Tulsa lifeguards or $200 for other participants. You can see the schedule for each class below.
The registration deadlines are May 11 for the first class and May 20 for the second class.
Pools start opening in June; Reed Pool Beach Bash opens June 4, Lacy Pool opens June 5, Whiteside Pool opens June 6 and Berry Pool opens June 6.
Schedule for class 1:
- May 13, 3 to 4 p.m. at Lacy Pool - Prerequisite swimming test*
- May 14, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Lacy Pool - Basic Lifesaving; Deep Water and Spinal Backboarding
- May 15, 1 to 6 p.m. at Lacy Community Center - CPR/AED/First Aid
- May 16, 4 to 7 p.m. at Lacy Pool - Final test outs
Schedule for class 2:
- May 22, 1 to 6 p.m.at Lacy Pool - Prerequisite swimming test*, Introduction to Lifeguarding and Basic Lifesaving
- May 23, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Lacy Pool - Deep Water and Spinal Backboarding
- May 24, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Lacy Community Center - CPR/AED/First Aid
- May 25, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Lacy Pool - Final test outs
The prerequisite swimming test consists of:
- Swim 300 yards continuously using front crawl and breast stroke.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only.
- Swim 20 yards, and then surface dive 7-10 feet.
- Complete these tasks in one minute, 40 seconds: retrieve 10-pound object, return to surface and swim back to the starting point with the object; and then exit the water.