Tulsa-To-Nowata Chase Suspect Has Long Criminal History

Monday, June 15th 2015, 12:44 pm
By: Richard Clark

The man accused of leading several law enforcement agencies on a chase from Tulsa to Nowata County Sunday evening has a long criminal history.

Cody Matthews is in the Rogers County jail after a 45-minute chase that ended at about 8:30 p.m. in a Nowata County field on June 14, 2015.  

6/14/2015: Related Story: Glenpool Man Arrested After Leading Police On Chase From Tulsa To Nowata

On June 5, a Payne County judge issued a warrant for his arrest when he failed to show up for a court date on a charge of bringing contraband into a penal institution. 

According to court documents in that case, he threw three packages over the fence into the Cimarron Correctional Facility in Cushing on July 18, 2014. The documents say the packages contained 15 cell phones, 14 chargers and almost 12 ounces of tobacco. They were wrapped in camouflage duct tape with grass stuck on the outside. 

The documents say he had hitched a ride from Tulsa to Cushing with the friend of a friend and she told police she didn't have any prior knowledge of his plan. When police pulled her over, Mathews jumped out of the car and ran into the woods. He was spotted later that night at a Cushing convenience store asking for a ride back to Tulsa. 

Police eventually arrested him and booked him into the Payne County Jail. He bonded out on December 15, 2014. 

In July of 2013, he agreed to a plea deal in a Tulsa County court on charges of holding a woman and child hostage.

4/27/2013: Related Story: Police: Glenpool Man Arrested For Holding Woman, Child Hostage

A judge gave him a five-year suspended sentence.

On January 18, 2014 he led Glenpool Police on a short chase in his mother's car as they tried to pull him over for speeding, according to court documents. After leaving the car at a dead end in a neighborhood, he disappeared, the documents say. 

Police arrested him at his girlfriend's house a short distance away. They said they found him hiding in the girlfriend's attic. He was also charged with malicious injury to property and obstructing an officer for damaging the booking area of the Glenpool Police Department.

He pleaded guilty and a judge sentenced him to a year in jail, with the time suspended as long as Mathews paid for the damage. Court records indicate he wasn't making payments. 

In 2010 a Rogers County judge sentenced him to four years on two counts of drug possession. Department of Corrections records show he served 23 months on those charges.