The Oral Roberts University women's basketball team turned up the defensive pressure Thursday night as the Golden Eagles defeated South Dakota, 81-65, in Summit League action.
Vicky McIntyre and Faith Ihim recorded double-doubles with McIntyre leading the way with 19 points and 14 rebounds. Ihim added 18 points and 10 rebounds for her first career double-double in the win.
ORU was impressive defensively forcing a season-high 21 turnovers and recording seven steals. The Golden Eagles scored 21 points off turnovers while USD managed just 11.
Offensively, ORU shot 41 percent from the field and held USD to 14 points below their season average. The Golden Eagles were able to finish at the free throw line as well going 24-of-31.
The Turning Point
With 8:42 left in the game South Dakota cut the ORU lead to just eight points. However, Atoe' Jackson drove to the hoop and was fouled as she finished a three-point play for the Golden Eagles to take a 55-44 lead.
Oral Roberts answered with an 11-2 run to build the lead back to 17 points on a Faith Ihim put back with 5:41 left in the game. ORU never looked back in the final minutes holding onto the 16 point victory.
Oral Roberts: Vicky McIntyre scored 19 points, 14 rebounds and six blocks for her 11th double-double of the season. Faith Ihim earned her first collegiate double-double adding 18 points and 10 rebounds.
South Dakota: Margaret McCloud earned a double-double finishing with 11 points and 11 rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- Vicky McIntyre and Faith Ihim gave ORU two players with a double-double for the second time this season.
- ORU has shot over 77 percent from the free throw line in their last two games. It is also the first time this season they have shot over 75 percent in back-to-back games.
- The Golden Eagles forced a season-high 21 turnovers. The previous high was 20 against Southwestern Christian.
News & Notes
- ORU earns its first Summit League win since Feb. 25, 2012 at Southern Utah.
- The Golden Eagles are 25-6 under Misti Cussen inside the Mabee Center and 6-1 at home this season.
- ORU opens Summit League with three of their first four on the road before a three-game home stretch in January.
ORU travels to Fort Wayne to take on the Mastodons in a Sunday matinee. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. (CST).