Tulsa Firefighters Say Kite Sparked Grass, House Fire


Saturday, February 22nd 2014, 3:07 pm
By: News On 6


Firefighters say a kite striking electric lines sparked a grass fire that then spread to the exteriors of two West Tulsa homes.

The Tulsa Fire Department responded to the fire in the 1900 block of West 46th Place South at about 1:30 p.m. Saturday.

Authorities tell News On 6 a young boy and a girl were flying a kite that hit an electrical wire running from one of the houses. That caused a spark which ignited the dry grass underneath.

Although the fire damaged the outside of the homes, firefighters prevented it from spreading to the interiors.

Siding melted on the exterior of the homes and an outdoor shed was damaged. The kite survived.