Man Arrested In Tulsa's 8th Murder In 8 Days

Wednesday, January 9th 2013, 7:59 am
By: News On 6

The City of Tulsa has seen eight murders in eight days. The most recent was a stabbing death at about 8 p.m. Tuesday night near 7th and Lewis.

Police arrested Robert Alexander Hill, 48, in the homicide.

Police say Hill was banging on windows at an apartment building demanding his stuff from a woman's apartment. Officers say after the woman gave Hill his stuff, he continued to cause a scene. That's when a man inside her apartment went outside to confront Hill and was stabbed in the neck.

"We found a 28-year-old male bleeding. It was obvious that he had been stabbed. He was transported to a local hospital where he later died," said Officer Leland Ashley of the Tulsa Police Department.

Police say Hill left the scene and was eventually caught about 10 miles away at 48th and Memorial.

This isn't Hill's first run in with the law. He's had several robbery convictions that date back to 1990 and he even escaped prison in 1996.

The victim's name has not yet been released.

Maurice Williams lives across the street from the apartments.

"Man, that's just psycho," he said. "I heard it. They were screaming, 'Help me, help me, help me.'"

Williams saw the victim running down the street towards an intersection.

"I'm thinking this neighborhood I'm living in is safe," he said. "My little niece comes outside to play. I take her to the park, but after seeing this, it's just like dang, I just need to move."

Kelley German also lives nearby and describes this stabbing as an eye-opener: "I don't feel unsafe, but maybe at dark, maybe I should now."

Tulsa Police say if you hear someone outside demanding things, then it's best to stay inside and call 911.

"A lot of times people, especially males, will feel like 'I can take care of it myself,' but truthfully, let us do it," Officer Leland Ashley said. "Let us get there and hopefully we can avoid tragedies like we had last night."

Hill was booked into the Tulsa County jail on a complaint of first-degree murder, where he is being held without bond.

Police say he confessed to the crime.