Early morning house fire being blamed on boxes too close to a floor furnance


Monday, November 10th 2003, 12:00 am
By: News On 6


An early morning fire leaves a Tulsa family homeless. The fire broke out around 2:45 AM Monday at Archer and Xanthus.

Fire officials say the fire was accidental. They say some boxes were stacked on a floor furnace. When the furnace kicked on, the boxes lit up.

Tulsa Fire acting district chief Walter Sunny: “the boxes ignited the sofa next to the floor furnace. The occupants were sleeping, they woke up tried to fight the fire and consequently the male occupant received some burns.”

The man will be okay. However, the family pet died in the fire. Damage is estimated at about $25,000.

Fire officials remind those with floor furnaces to make sure they leave plenty of clearance.