Man dies in Saturday night fire in Sapulpa


Tuesday, May 13th 2003, 12:00 am
By: News On 6


SAPULPA, Okla. (AP) _ Fire officials have identified a man who died Saturday in a fire at the Linden Street Christian Church.

Bart Stansbury, 33, was found dead of apparent smoke inhalation in a small apartment above the church, Fire Marshal Don Acree said Monday.

The fire was caused by discarded smoking material on a mattress, Acree said.

The fire was spotted about 6 a.m. Saturday by a passer-by who immediately notified the fire station a block away.

Smoke damage was estimated at about $75,000, Acree said.

Stansbury had been living in the upstairs unit temporarily, said his father, Larry, a church elder. Bart Stansbury worked at the Bank of Oklahoma research division in Tulsa, he said.