- Thursday, January 01, 2004
- Appetizers-Side Dish/Vegetarian
- 4 servings, approximately 1 cup each
- 6 ounces dry black-eyed peas1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1. Place peas in a large bowl. Cover with 3-4 cups water and soak overnight.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté until onion is clear, approximately 5 minutes. If necessary, add a small amount of water to prevent pan from completely drying out. Reduce heat to low.
3. Rinse and drain peas. Add to saucepan. Add water, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until peas are tender. Add rice and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Nutrition Facts:
- 194 calories, 35g carbohydrate, 4.1g protein, 4.4g fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 4.6g dietary fiber, 152mg sodium
- Adapted recipe by Chef Dennis Berno, Floyd Green and Mary Davis