Child Playing With Lighter Blamed For Sapulpa Motel Fire
SAPULPA, Oklahoma - The Sapulpa Fire Department says a child is to blame for a motel fire at Interstate 44 and South 49th West Avenue.
A firefighter said a child started the fire while playing on a bed with a lighter.
The fire was in the Gateway Motel located on the east side of I-44 and north of the Town West shopping center.
When crews arrived, three rooms were on fire, according to Battalion Chief Steve Fleak. A fire wall helped contain the damage, but about six units in all were damaged.
Residents made it out without injury, and the Red Cross has been called in help them, he said.
Fleak said three engines and a ladder company responded.
The fire marshall will determine the official cause of the fire.
The motel is next to the Interstate Inn where a fatal fire took place just over a year ago. Firefighters found the body of 57-year-old Bixby resident Terry Jean Lamb in a room on the second floor of the motel where the fire started January 24, 2015.