Spinach And Rice Stuffed Bell Peppers
Monday, February 27th 2017, 3:23 PM CST
- 4 medium yellow, red or orange bell peppers, halved through the stem and seeds discarded
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (about 14 ounces) (use frozen 365 Everyday Value Organic Brown Rice, or cook it from scratch)
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place bell pepper halves on a baking sheet; trim a sliver off the bottom of any pepper halves that do not sit level.
- Sprinkle peppers with 1/4 teaspoon salt, cover the pan with foil and bake until peppers just begin to soften, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and cook until golden, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in rice and spinach (no need to thaw first) and cook until hot and any excess liquid from the spinach has evaporated, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in Gouda, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Spoon mixture into bell pepper halves, putting about 1/2 cup into each.
- Sprinkle tops with bread crumbs and bake, uncovered, until peppers are soft and bread crumbs brown, about 25 minutes.