Healthy Sweet Potato Skins
Friday, January 27th 2017, 2:05 pm
By: News On 6
- 2 medium or large sweet potatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup light sour cream of Greek yogurt
- 2 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bake sweet potatoes at 350 for 40-60 minutes, or until fork tender
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and let cool for 10 minutes. Sauté shallots with butter over medium heat until translucent. Add fresh spinach and heat for 2-3 minutes, (until spinach has cooked down). Set aside
- Scrape the cooled sweet potatoes out of the peel, leaving a thin layer inside the skin for stability.
- Mash the sweet potato, cream cheese and sour cream. Stir in chickpeas, spinach, and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Coat potato skins with a drizzle of oil and bake for about 5 minutes to get a crispier outside.
- Remove from oven and fill each skin with the sweet potato mixture and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Back into the oven and Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and filling is thoroughly heated.