Bolognese Sauce With Spaghetti
Monday, September 19th 2016, 1:47 pm
By: News On 6
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 celery stalk, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ pound ground lean beef (7% fat or less)
- ½ pound ground lean pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat (2% milk)
- 1 (16-ounce) package whole wheat spaghetti
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add fennel, onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beef, pork, salt, pepper flakes and black pepper; cook, breaking up meat with wooden spoon, until browned, 6-8 minutes. Transfer to 5 or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Stir tomatoes into beef mixture. Cover and cook until sauce is slightly thickened, 3 ½ hours on Low. Stir in ¼ cup of Parmesan and the milk. Cover and cook on Low 30 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in same large pot according to package directions. Drain.
- Divide spaghetti evenly among 8 bowls; top evenly with meat sauce. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan and the basil.
Per serving (scant 1 cup pasta, ¾ cup sauce, and 1 tablespoon Parmesan): 346 Cal, 7g Total Fat, 3g Sat Fat, 594 mg Sod, 51g Total Crb, 4g Sugar, 8g Fib, 25g Prot. SmartPoints value: 8