Chicken Sausage, Mushroom And Pasta Casserole
Monday, August 15th 2016, 1:55 pm
By: News On 6
12 ounces whole what rotini (about 3 cups)
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ pound fully cooked Italian-style chicken sausage, thinly sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 pound white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons water
4 cups marinara sauce
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Cook rotini according to package directions. Drain in colander and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add panko; reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to small bowl; stir in Parmesan and oregano. Set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
- Put sausage in skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate and drain off any fat from skillet. Add bell pepper and onion to skillet; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables start to brown and soften, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and water; cook, stirring, until mushrooms are softened and, about 8 minutes.
- Add vegetables, sausage, and marinara to rotini; stir until mixed well. Spoon into prepared baking dish with mozzarella and reserved panko mixture. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, about 25 minutes.
Per serving (about 1 ½ cups): 344 Cal, 9 g Total Fat, 2 g Sat Fat, 903 mg Sod, 50 g Total Carb, 10 g Sugar, 8 g Fib, 19 g Prot. SPV: 10